Thursday, February 3, 2011

There's a first time for everything.


Looking at the starting line for London's Run... bright and early at 8 in the morning!  The Race was January 29th, 2011. 
I ran a Half Marathon.  Wow.  Still seems a little surreal to me.  I had been training for the Ragnar Relay coming up in February and thought that since my miles in training were fairly high that I should do the half marathon for London's Run.  Afterall it's a local event, and is for a great cause. (Children suffering from Cancer)  So I didn't sign up.  What?  No, I didn't sign up I went the morning of and paid a whole. lot. more. to run the race than I would have if I'd signed up earlier, but oh well, it's all going to a good cause!  I didn't decide to run until a week or so before, (when my friend Caitlin said she'd run with me).  So I wasn't nervous until I made the decision.  The last week before I ran my kids were sick, but I still managed to get some miles in, but I did take it easy since this was a "race".  I think it's kind of funny though, I knew I wouldn't finish first.... not even almost!  I just knew what I wanted my goal to be.  I knew I could finish under 2 hours and 30 minutes, but I wanted to beat 2 hours and 15 minutes.  So morning before the race I woke up feeling off.  Yep.  My sickies got me sick.  I didn't feel too terrible and just took some IBprofen and took it easy Friday.  Saturday I felt a little worse, but I still felt I could pull it off.  I've run with colds before, and I was fine. 
Saturday morning, up at 5:30 am to eat and start my day so I wouldn't have tummy problems... left for Schnepf Farms @ 7 am.  Feeling pretty nervous!  It's hard when you don't feel, I don't know... Leggit?  I don't really know how to run, what to do, I still feel like a newbie, and the doubt kept eating at me.  Self Doubt is great isn't it?  No.  Ok, so I went and registered, got my bib # of 550, found Caitlin and her hubby and started to warm up.  We did a few laps and stretched a bit.  My usual routine is to start running, go  .5-1 mile, then stretch.  That obviously wouldn't work for this race, so I did a warmup, visited the port-o-potties, and changed my shirt twice!  Decisions aren't always my strong suit!  Haha!  That's an understatement... but I digress.  It was GO time!  C and I went and got in the line, still feeling intimidated since everwhere I look I see people who have "runners bodies"  which I DO NOT.  I also saw people who looked not so much like runners, and I just tried to focus on the task at hand, not that everyone seemed like a pro exept for me! 
Gun time... and we were off!  Start the Garmin and Zoom we were outa there!  No really, we were, Zoomin'!  My easy pace is usually around  a 10 min. mile, easy as in I can run for a long time at that pace, and still feel pretty comfortable.  Well we came out and I tried to hang with C for a while, she kept lookin' back at me and after about a mile, I waved her on and said Just Go Girl!  Don't let me slow you down!  So C took off and that left me with me.  I run with a visor on for two reasons, 1. so i can keep the sun out of my eyes, and 2. so I don't have to look at people if I don't want to!  I know, I have issues!  So I turned my music up and WENT!  I felt good the first 6, and actually I went out and stayed too fast.  All my first 6 miles were under 10 min. miles.  Actually they were 9:15-9:30 min. miles with the exception of the 6th that was about 9:45.  Good pace for me, but could I hold it?  I started to slow down a bit, but was still feeling pretty good.  I got thru miles 7 and 8 just going with the flow, listening to my tunes.  Miles 9 and 10 I started to feel it.  I had chosen to wear a long sleeve shirt.  Bad move, I would have been better off in my short sleeve, ( plus I was running a fever and didn't know it, oops)  And it was dry and dusty out, so my shoes were full of it.  Mile 10 I felt a hot spot on my foot below my big toe on the bottom of my foot, and I knew I had a blister.  I could feel it.  So the last 3 miles I ran every step feeling that blasted blister.  Also in the last 3 miles I started getting bad leg cramps in my left quad.  Cramps that I had never felt before.  Cramps that if I didn't stop and stretch them out, I'd probably have colapsed at some point.  Yeah it hurt that much.  Oy!  Talk about frustrating though!  I had come 10 miles and now I have to stop!  I wasn't very happy, but I didn't have a choice.  So the last 3 miles I had to stop I think 4-5 times to stretch my quad or calf.  I also walked some on and off in there because stretching sometimes didn't eleviate the cramps completely.  One of the last times I stopped to stretch, I used one of the race volunteers truck, I ran to it and said "I need to borrow your truck!"  ... "just to stretch!"  I only had aoubt 3/4's of a mile left, I knew I wanted to run the rest of the way. During the last few miles I had been close by a few people one older man who looked pretty old to me, but was 64 I found out, and an older lady who would run/ walk.  Both of these people were such an inspiration to me!  They never gave up!  The man ran in a very "non typical way"  It was almost funny to watch, but he did it.  He ran the 1/2 marathon.  Along the whole course were pictures of children who are fighting cancer, these pictures helped to motivate me, because I would think, wow, those kids have to go thru cancer, I can do this!  One of the last pictures on the course was the picture of London Soloman ( who London's Run is named after and put on by her parents)  Under her picture it said "The Reason"  I almost lost it.  I had to hold a few sobs in the last 1/2 mile or so.  London was 6 when she died, in first grade just like my Kylie.  That just made it hit home even harder.  What a beautiful little girl she was!  What a special spirit she has.  So the last bit between trying not to cry or colapse!  Lol!  It was pretty slow going.  The last 75 ish yards I did pick up the pace and finished in a time of 2 hours 19 minutes and 42 seconds.  So i beat the time I knew that I could beat, but I know if I hadn't had to stop for those pesky leg cramps that I could have beat my 2:15 mark.  Next Time!??  Who knows!? 
I am very proud of myself that I did this.  I've always been an athlete, but never a runner.  I guess now I can't really say that.  It's such a great feeling to know that I accomplished this.  Even though I didn't finish first, or even the first half... I finished.  I did it! 

My friend Caitlin Miller and I after the race. 

One bummer was that I didn't have anyone there from my family after the race.  :(  My hubs and older 2 girls were hunting (planned for a long time) and the 2 little ones were at home with a babysitter.  I really missed having someone there when I was done! 
After the race I stretched and ate some food and went home.  At home I was shivering so bad my baby girl told me to get in the shower to warm up.  I took a long hot shower.  When I got out I was still cold and so I took my temperature.  FEVER!  Oops.   Running a 1/2 marathon is probably not the best thing to do if you're sick...I spent the next 4 days pretty much totally  out of commision!  Turns out I had an upper respiritory infection which I am still recovering from.  Good times!  :)
Up next... RAGNAR!  Woo Hoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Becky! I love reading race updates, especially when I know how hard the person is training! Great job and thanks for letting us share in your experience.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! I bet you could have done it in 2hrs! Seriously, you were sick and you pulled that time. You rock!!!

Sara said...

Your so awesome! You are such an inspiration to many! Keep up the good work! Im so lucky to have you as my friend!