Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Homemade Granola

This is a great recipe I tried out yesterday. I put it in vanilla yogurt and it was YUMMY! I love it even more by itself.


6 c. rolled oats
1 c. wheat germ (optional, but adds nutrition)
1 c. sliced almonds (you can buy these pretty inexpensively at Trader Joes)
1/2 c. coconut (optional)
1 c. instant powdered milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
1 c. dry apples (opt)
1 c. oat bran (opt)
1 c. raisins or cranberries (opt)
Mix ingredients together (except dried fruit) in a large bowl. Mix 1 c. oil (I used half olive oil and half applesauce for lower fat, and it turned out great), 3/4 c. honey and 1/4 c. white or brown sugar together in a pot. Heat until sugar is dissolved, and then pour over granola mixture. Mix well. Pour onto a large cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. For crunchier granola, sprinkle 3 T. sugar over the top. Add dried fruit AFTER baking. If you want to dehydrate this, put onto drying racks and dry 8 to 12 hours on low. Have fruit already in if using a dehydrator. Another thing you could add to this for more nutrition would be flax...of course I didn't think about that until after I was done making it! Next time! :)


2 comments:

Tressa said...

Hey, I am planning on making some granola tonight. Now I have another good recipe to try:)

Becky said...

My mom used to make homemade granola... looks YUMMY!