A little while ago I suddenly had some serious motivation to start cooking healthier meals for my family, and since then have been on the search for easy and healthy recipes, meaning recipes with no weird stuff that normal people don't keep on hand and that can be completed in an hour or less! I'll post any that I try that we like, and I hope you all will do the same!
Here is the original version of this recipe...at the end I'll add in our modifications to make it a little healthier if you want to try it that way:
Chicken and Rice Wraps
1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 c. water
1 c. mild salsa
1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix (1/4 c.)
2 cups instant rice, uncooked
8 – 12 flour tortillas (we use whole wheat tortillas...recipe below)
In skillet or saucepan, combine chicken, water, salsa and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add rice, simmer on low for 5 minutes. Spoon mixture into center of tortillas and wrap. You can add cheese to mixture before wrapping, if desired.
Healthier version: Cook 1 cup of brown rice before starting, and instead of putting in 2 c. water and 2 c. instant rice, just put in 1 c. water and the cooked brown rice instead. Instead of the whole 1 lb. of chicken I just use a can of cooked chicken from Sams or Costco including the broth.
Whole Wheat Tortillas
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
1/3 c. oil
1 c. water
Mix together well, then divide into 12 balls, cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll into circles and cook on a frying pan or griddle, about 30 seconds each side or until you see bubbles forming. Yum! For a treat serve them with butter and cinnamon/sugar rolled up!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yummy! I will definiatly be giving these recipes a try! I can't wait! Thanks Cindy!
One of the easiest and best tasting healthy recipes to me is plain ol' simple shish-kabobs!
So yummy!
All you need is:
steak or chicken
Bell peppers -red, green, yellow
onions
pineapple
And anything else you want on them!
I like to marinate my meat in Italian dressing then, place everything on a stick and grill it up! SOOOOO GOOD!
Post a Comment